New York, NY – On April 24, 2019 Janene Yazzie (Diné) called for clemency for political prisoner Leonard Peltier at the annual United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues. Continue reading
1. Cigar store Indians because any publicity is good publicity, right? Am I right?
2. Growing up, surviving, thriving, and becoming the all right/sometimes pretty rad guy I am today Continue reading
14. Dennis told me a funny story once. “There was this one Native brother who was always in the hole; every time he got out he’d get into a fight and then go right back in. He always wore shades, never went anywhere without his shades on. One time he came up to me and we were talking and he lowered his shades, looked me right in the eyes, and said, ‘Violence is the only way, brother. Continue reading
32. I’m at the park with this Winnebago college student I met when she was the lone Native student in an Indian Studies class I talked to (I always tell people, “I talk about what it’s like to be an Indian living in the modern world.”). We’re on this dock, looking out over the mostly thawed lake. “Do you think I should jump in?” she asks. Continue reading
41. Twenty-three, stepping off to the side in the back at the grocery store where I work, lifting up my shirt, pulling off the Band-Aid to show my big half-dollar sized piercing scar to my biker boss. Continue reading